Preparation Time Less than 10 mins
Cooking Time 10 to 30 mins
- 60ml/4tbsp oil
- 1.25ml/žtsp mustard seeds
- salt to taste
- 2 pinches of chilli powder
- 1.25ml/žtsp turmeric powder
- 350g/12oz red british potatoes, peeled, boiled and quartered
- Heat the oil in a pan on a medium heat setting.
- To check that the oil is hot enough, sprinkle in a few
mustard seeds, if they pop the oil is ready. Then add the
remainder of the mustard seeds.
- Add the salt, chilli and turmeric powders to the
- Fry this pungent mixture of oil and spices for a
minute then add the potatoes. Fry for about 4 minutes
until the potatoes are smothered in seeds and appear to
have crispy edges. They will look quite yellow in colour.
Cover the pan and on a low heat, cook the potatoes for a
further 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.