Aubergine In The Hole
Preparation Time Over 1 hr
Cooking Time 10 to 30 mins
- 1 aubergine, peeled and cut into 2.5cm/1in chunks
- plenty of salt
- 125g/4oz plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 300ml/ 1/2pt milk
- sunflower oil
- 15ml/1tbsp tomato puree
- 10ml/2tsp mixed herbs
- To prepare the aubergine, place the chunks into a
colander, cover them with plenty of salt and then put a
plate on top of the colander, weighted down with a water
filled saucepan. Leave for an hour, then wash the excess
- During the hour, preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
- Now make the batter mixture by sifting the flour into
a bowl, make a well in the middle and add the egg and the
egg yolk. Slowly start adding the milk, a little at a
time, and whisk the mixture with a fork until it is well
combined. You could use a hand-blender at the end for a
final blast. Put it to one side in the fridge.
- Next, take a roasting tin and pour a generous amount
of oil into the bottom. Place it in the oven to heat up.
- Take the aubergines and mix them together in another
bowl with the tomato puree and the herbs until well
coated. Then quickly fry them in 15ml/1tbsp oil to sear
- When you have seared all of the aubergine, remove the
hot oil from the oven, place the aubergine into the tray
and pour the batter mixture over it.
- Bake it in the oven for 25-30 minutes, cut it up and
then serve it hot.