- 2# stewing meat, cut in 2" cubes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water or stock
- flat noodles
Saute onions and remove. Add meat and brown well on all sides. Add vinegar, chopped pepper, seasonings, and stock or water. Return onion. Simmer, covered, until meat is tender for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Serve over noodles.
- 1 cup sour cream added a few minutes before serving.
- Add tomato sauce or canned tomatoes (one #2 1/2 can) and simmer with meat.
- Seasonings used besides paprika, salt and pepper are caraway seeds, margoram and garlic.
- Raw, quartered potatoes are often cooked with goulash for 1/2 hour.
- Meat: Use beef, lamb, veal, or chicken.