Almond Custard Cups
Serves makes 18 cups
Preparation Time 10 to 30 mins
Cooking Time 10 to 30 mins
Calorie/Fat Count Energy 164kcals Fat 9g
175g/6oz plain flour
pinch of salt
55g/2oz ground almonds
55g/2oz caster sugar
1 egg, yolk only
1.25ml/╝tsp almond essence
600ml/1pt prepared cold custard
225g/8oz fresh fruit in season
15g/Żoz flaked almonds, lightly toasted
icing sugar, sieved for dredging
- To make pastry, sift flour and salt together in a large bowl and rub in butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in ground almonds and sugar. Add egg yolk with enough water to form a firm dough. Knead lightly until smooth.
- Roll out pastry thinly and use to line 18 x 8cm/7 x 3in deep, straight-sided patty tins. Prick pastry bases and bake blind at 200C/400F/Gas 6 for 15-20 minutes. Leave to cool.
- For the filling, add almond essence to custard and whisk until smooth. Spoon into pastry cups.
- Arrange fruit on top and sprinkle with toasted almonds.
- Dredge with icing sugar just before serving.